The Guzheng Forum Forum Index The Guzheng Forum
guzheng talk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

guzheng tuning
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
phongguzheng
Junior Guzheng

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by phongguzheng on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
mountain_water
Old Rosewood

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the non-digital tuners tell u the tuning too..and they also use a needle tuner to tune my zheng.....

so wat is the difference of digital/non-digital.
phongguzheng
Junior Guzheng

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by phongguzheng on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
kasos
Plywood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Tuning a 16 string gu-zheng Reply with quote

Hi!

A few months ago I asked some questions on this site about the different types of oriental zithers, and I was kindly given some very useful preliminary advice. Well, one thing has led to another, and I've recently been able to purchase a used 16 string gu-zheng as a starter instrument (for a very modest price).

It's only about 36 inches long, which I'm assuming will probably give enough string length to make it playable, but nevertheless would seem to make it noticeably shorter than the full size professional instruments used by most correspondents on this site. Just to reassure you all, I do have plans to eventually upgrade to a full size instrument with the full complement of strings.

However, in the meantime, I'm curious as to whether there are any suggestions as to how I might best tune this instrument, given its particularities. Should I still use a D pentatonic (just without the extra octave you would have with a 21 string instrument), or would it be more sensible to start on a higher note instead (an F or a G, for example), given the shorter scale (vibrating string) length?

For what it's worth, I'm pretty handy at transposition, so reading scores initially presented in another key will probably be manageable, should a choice to retune to something other than D lead to problems in this department.

Thank you very kindly for any suggestions. -Kasos
phongguzheng
Junior Guzheng

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuning a 16 string gu-zheng Reply with quote

Last edited by phongguzheng on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
yukina
Concert Nanmu Mica

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kasos:

16-stringed guzheng is generally tunned in G. But the last string being a D or 5 in the guzheng music notation.

So the order is:

D E G A B D E G A B D E G A B D

Most of the traditional songs are written in G major, but we just play it on 21-stringed D major without changing the key.
kasos
Plywood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: 16 String tuning Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your advice, and your prompt replies - I'll be trying out your suggestion shortly, and maybe do a further post next week....

Take care, Mark/Kasos
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guzheng Forum Forum Index -> Technique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: